Tuesday, November 2, 2010

this mother's son


they got on my jeepney ride
a nice-looking young couple
a cute little boy in tow
he looked frail, quite unstable

they settled in their seat
she put the boy on her lap
a bag of chips in his hand
probably the afternoon's snack

she opened the bag
and put it in his hand
he acknowledged, he smiled
and uttered, "Thank you, Mom"

she took his little hand
helped him pick a piece
with each piece he picked
she rewarded him with a kiss

such a sweet sight to see
I said to myself
a mother and a son
as she offered him lots of help

but i wondered why she had
to give him a smile and a kiss
each time his hand picked a piece
from inside the bag of chips

and on as we travelled
we finally reached their stop
carefully she held him
to his dad she gave him back

his dad took him
in his arms lovingly
the boy faltered for a second
clutched his dad's hand excitedly

I became more curious
as I watched them alight
careful little steps
but his face remained bright

finally, I gasped
as a thought flashed my mind
oh dear, now I know
that the little boy was BLIND.

No comments: